Monday, June 2, 2008

Les Foulées du Lac! Ready? Set! Go!

So, the "half" marathon was yesterday morning. The scare quotes are there because it actually turned out to be 15 miles instead of 13.1. The course was also different (slightly) than the one advertised, which accounted for the extra distance. Additionally, they weren't manning the turn-around during the second lap and neither was there anybody standing at the second water point the second time past. The sponge station was out of sponges the first time I ran by (just a bunch of kids singing, "there are no more, there are no more") and the whole thing started a half hour late.

But I finished. All 15 miles of the "half" marathon. So at least there is that.

I ended up drinking seven bottles of water throughout the course--and still ended up fairly dehydrated. It was just too darn hot. I ended up looking behind me at around mile ten on a long straightaway and saw that there was nobody there. Turned out that there actually were a few folks behind me, quite a ways back, but the hundred some people that were behind me at the start all ended up quitting. Another piece of good news too is that besides the sunburn I have as a souvenir I have zero soreness today, even just one day after. All that training over the last few months paid off in that regard.

So, watch this space for more--this chapter is over, but I've got something that I think is exciting planned for the next several months. Stay tuned...

No comments: