Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Sadly, our winning streak has come to an end

So for about the last year we've been able to avoid injuries. If you'll recall, 2006 was a bit of an injury-filled year for us. To recap a bit: Dylan lost a tooth in a playground incident; Dylan had stitches to repair the fingernail he nearly lost; Dylan had to have the glue-stitches (vice actual string stitches) on the back of his head; David probably should have had stitches, but didn't, on the top of his head where the dogs tooth impaled him; Stefanie still has the scar where her skin went necrotic from the spider bite on her leg.

You'll notice though that Sofia is nowhere mentioned in the list—thus it is only fitting that it was she who broke our winning streak. She was riding on the beach this afternoon when her horse bucked. She got launched—he ran over and passed her. While he was running his hoof came down on her jaw and chin. When I (David) rushed over from work to the riding club, I took a look and realized immediately that, albeit in my non-expert medical opinion, she would need stitches. Hooray! Sofia got to join the stitches club finally. The wound was very deep on her chin. The doctor gave her a number of internal stitches as well as external to close it up. We're not sure exactly how many though—I guess it's a cultural thing; the Tunisians aren't worried about "how many".

At first it hurt of course, but the pain went away fairly quickly. She was crying and carrying on—because she didn't want to get stitches. Actually she was upset about two things, almost more than the stitches, she was upset about losing an earring that Cubbie had given her.

After it was all over, after the doctor visit and the trip to the ice cream parlor, she told me in the car: "you know what daddy? I want to get more stitches! It didn't hurt at all!" I explained to her that no, she didn't really want more stitches, but that I thought that it was cool that she got them from a horse injury. She's very proud now that she has bloodstains on her protective riding vest.

2 comments:

Mary Ann said...

We definitely all have our priorities when it comes to the reactions we have when injured. For Sofia, her earring. For me and my ankle, I'm still thanking my lucky stars that no harm came to the hand knitted socks.
I can't believe that it didn't hurt to get stitches though.

Stefanie said...

Yeah, I can't believe she is such a tough girl. Sometimes she is so girly (the earring) and other times I am shocked at how tough (wanting more stitches) and brave (riding Bravo, the huge horse in the first place) she is :)