Wednesday, February 14, 2007

So I am trying out Office 2007…

And I found out that I can use Word on my desktop to write blog entries and then have word communicate with blogger to post the blog entry for me. I like Office 07 so far, there doesn't seem to be any added features, but the features that are there are much easier to get at—no more digging through drop down menus. If you need something, it's right in front of you. I need to find a host for pictures now. Flikr is free, I think—does Yahoo! Have anything?

The biggest change though is that MS changed the default file format. They've gone to Office OpenXML (OOXML)—if someone sends you a document created in Word using the default setting, it'll come across as a .docx – you can change it to .zip and see the XML files directly. Versions prior to 2007 will have to have a compatibility update.

I also downloaded Vista, but I haven't been able to get the downloader to validate the file, and I don't feel like downloading the 2.5 gigabytes again.

Oh—probably the coolest thing though is OneNote, I use it to keep track of my schoolwork, it works like a notebook, creates tables automatically, an automatic calculator function. I bet though that it's at its best on a tablet though.

3 comments:

Suzanne Earley said...

I've heard that a lot of people like smugmug.com. It's not free (39.95/mo) but no ads, and it looks like it has lots of features.

Another options is a Picasa album -- a Google option.

I have used PictureTrail in the past, and it's OK.

Flickr is quite popular, too.

Deb Ellsworth said...

Why yes, Yahoo does have something, it's called Flickr!

David S. said...

I can't keep them straight, who owns what these days. I like how AT&T is almost all the way back to being the monolithic organization that it once was.

Anyway, I think I've found a balance, blogger will host pix, but it's kind of a pain to upload--but not so difficult as to make it unmanageable for special occasions, besides pictures have to be uploaded somewhere. For text only blog entries it's much easier to just write it in Word 07 and do any hyperlinks and not worry about picture URL's.