Friday, February 23, 2007

Kantara

Tomorrow evening (24 February 2007), Stefanie, her mother and I are going to go to a concert here in the Tunisian suburbs. The name of the group is Kantara—it means "bridge". I was at the press conference announcing the tour—Brennan is Dylan's hero. While a student at UVA, Brennan had a band called Walker's Run—their only CD is available on Amazon, I was able to download it on iTunes. Walker's Run is (was) a bluegrass group, Brennan played mandolin and was the lead for most of the vocals. I've also seen him play banjo and guitar—he says he can also play fiddle. Riadh (also mentioned in the press release) plays the Oud and is the owner of the conservatory where Sofia and Dylan take music lessons. They've created their own genre, Arab-Appalachian music. It is a very unique fusion of the two styles—they really work together. Here's their website: www.kantaramusic.com. If you click on the music link you can download several mp3's. My favorites are Wayfaring Stranger (that's Brennan singing) and Hobbi (=my love). The lead singer on Hobbi is Amel—who speaks perfect English and couldn't stop laughing at me the day I backed my car into a lady out front of the mosque in Sidi Bou Said. We are very excited for the concert—check out the music, it's very unique, I think you'd like it.

2 comments:

Mary Ann said...

Beautiful music, Arab Appalachian, I like that.
I find guitar music to be very soothing. Well, classical guitar and evidently Arab Appalachian gutiar. At work when I want music, I choose a classical guitar station. It has a steady volume also generally, good for work where not everyone else would appreciate my choice of music.

David S. said...

The concert was wonderful--it is always amazing to me that there are people as talented as that. But it's years and years of hard work as well. The thing that I liked the most though was that the musicians truly enjoyed it and were having a great time, it makes all the difference.