Sunday, January 7, 2007

Our Hairy Kids

I thought I would do a post to include a little about our four legged kids to introduce them to those of you who have never met them. This is just so you have an idea who/what in the world we are talking about when we refer to Pancho, Sasha, Fabienne and now Farhouda. Plus, I like to brag about them as well as my human kids :)
This is me and "the other man in my life". Pancho and I got to spend some quality time together this summer while I was home in Pennsylvania. He is older and much quieter now than when I first got him. He takes good care of any kid that rides him. But he still likes to take adults for a quick spin.
Thanks to all the folks at Paradise and of course to Aunt Laura for keeping him in good shape and making him mind his manners.
Sofia couldn't get enough of Pancho this summer and he couldn't get enough of the attention she gave him. He was patient enough to deal with her mistakes and quick enough to keep her attention. He helped boost her confidence and got her interested in jumping. Too bad they are so far apart now because they make a perfect pair.
Sasha (for some reason looking rather small in this photo) also known at the barn as "The Tank" with her "Mommy". Although she isn't mine anymore, I know that she is in good hands and that I will always know how she is doing. Laura loves her as much as I do and so my difficult decision to part with her was made easier by my sister. I didn't have to really part with her after all. And more importantly, Pancho didn't have to part with her either.
The kids (Fabienne, Sofia and Dylan) "watching" television the night Fabienne arrived to Cambodia from Germany. At 10 weeks old she was 9.8 kilos. Poor thing had a bit of jet lag.
Fabienne and her Lab cross puppy friend Leila in our yard in Tunisia. Fabienne thinks for some reason that she is the same size as other dogs (now she is over 60 kg) and just doesn't understand when they run away and don't want to play with her.
Fabienne with her "Aw do I have to sit for another photo" face on.
Our/my newest baby is a 6 year old Tunisian Barb named El-Farhouda. It was inevitable that I would buy a horse in Tunisia. It is affordable, the horses are great and the barn is right near my house :) I would spend alot paying to ride regularly on the beach anyway so I figured why not? I asked my riding instructor to find me a suitable horse. I told him that I trusted his judgement since he knew my riding capabilities. I was a bit surprised when I realized he had chosen her for me. She was a desert horse used for Fantasia and celebrations. She didn't know much more than stop, go, and go really fast and only in a staight line! I was flattered that he thought I could train such a horse. Well, she is coming along nicely. She is a joy to ride, eager to learn and is unbelievably smart. She has really muscled out since the photo and in the two months I have had her I have really grown to love her. Unfortunately, the deal with David was "only animals that came with us to Tunisia will leave Tunisia with us." :(

6 comments:

Suzanne Earley said...

I was telling Mark that you had posted pictures of your furry family members. He wanted to know if you could tell the difference between the horses and the dog....

They are all lovely, and I assured him that yes, even though the dog is large, I could tell it was a DOG and not a HORSE.

David S. said...

Well, I'll tell you what though: I find that even though I haven't grown (upwards) in the last several years, it seems that everything from childhood is getting smaller. Including Toby--I thought for sure that he was going to be about as big as Fabienne, but I was shocked to see how small he is in comparison to how I remember him. Are you sure Toby hasn't shrunk any? I guess living with Fabienne has really thrown me off on judging how big normal size dogs actually are.

Suzanne Earley said...

Boy, Katie must have seemed like a toy if Toby looked small to you!

He might be a little leaner than he was in the past, but I'm pretty sure he hasn't shrunk at all.

Speaking of childhoods, I have such fond memories of CT, but I wonder if we'd even recognize Ledyard or Gales Ferry or even Groton anymore.

Deb Ellsworth said...

Oh yeah, Ledyard, Gales Ferry and Groton all looked very strange to me. I had a little trouble with directions even. Of course the home on Seabury looked weird with no trees in the front, but you all saw those pictures. I need to get back there again I think!

David S. said...

The trees were gone from in front of 33 Seabury almost as soon as we left in 97. The last time I was in S.E. Conn was October 99 to pick up the accord and help mom move. I drove down Seabury and around town and such. Ah the memories.

Unknown said...

love the photos
all the animals are beautiful especially Fabienne.
that is the first time i have seen him.
where's his saddle