Sunday, July 6, 2008

No autographs, please

An interesting day today--and hot too. But Sofia and Dylan are both officially working actors. We got to hang out on a real movie set all day, went through costuming, hair and make-up, saw the "street" where part of the action takes place, and ate lunch with the other extras and crew. Neither kid had a part that will make it into the credits, but if they did, it would look like this: Sofia in her role as "young girl on platform waving at train" and Dylan in the part of "young boy waving from window of train."

The film is in Italian and currently titled: Baaria--La porto del vento. The director is Giuseppe Tornatore, who won the Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film in 1990 with Cinema Paradiso. Cool, eh?

4 comments:

Deb Ellsworth said...

Very cool! Going to have to keep an eye for it to come out on DVD so we can check it out, since I don't think it will be in theaters around here.

I'm jealous!

David S. said...

You live near one of the media centers of the country--of course it will be in a theater near you...maybe not the normal multi-plex...but I guarantee you'll be able to find it somewhere. Not that you have to, of course. :)

Suzanne Earley said...

I wonder if that one will come to the dollar theater in Traer?

If not, you'll have to send us a DVD.

David S. said...

Hoboken = near media center.

Traer = not so much.

I didn't realize it when I posted the story originally that although I was well aware of the heat (about 100 degrees) and the fact that the kids were supposed to be dressed as if it were mid-January 1983, Sofia did indeed start to cry because of how uncomfortable she had become in her sweater, jacket, and knit hat.

But she became very proud of herself when she discovered that the cameraman thought it was wonderful that she was crying. She was waving good-bye to a train after all...perfectly naturally to cry!