Tuesday, March 11, 2008
This is third grade, so those must be times tables
Stefanie and I were trying to figure out how to help Sofia learn her times tables. We both had little tricks we were trying to teach her--Stefanie had a good one for 6's and my favorite is the trick with the 9's. Until I remembered how I learned times tables...standing up in front of Mrs. Maclaughlin's third grade class (1983!) and repeating over and over: 6 times 1 is 6. 6 times 2 is 12. 6 times 3 is 18. 6 times 4 is 24. 6 times 5 is 30. 6 times 6 is 36. Again and again and again. And then do it again. And then again.
As an added benefit--Dylan is learning them too, seemingly by osmosis.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Has Sofia been learning cursive in 3rd grade? Will let me know one day that I don't make my "r" right. I put too much of a dip in it. That's because when I was learning my mom said I didn't put enough of a dip into it. :)
My mother's handwriting was always the most beautiful thing in the world. She had perfect cursive writing, I wasn't the only one who thought that. Sadly, her handwriting has gotten shaky.
The French school starts with cursive...that's what they learn first. Dylan is learning cursive now in the 1st grade.
Post a Comment